Mum, ME and Odissi is a short term workshop that helps children and adults develop great passion and zest for learning, appreciating and performing Indian classical dance. The workshop’s entirely new teaching methodology illustrates the amazing beauty of Indian classical dance, music, painting, costumes, sculpture and aesthetics. Rather than the conventional method of teaching classical dance, this is an art appreciation course for an introduction to Odissi before the formal learning of the dance grammar begins.
‘Children's Workshops’ is also a highly personalized experience celebrating every child and intended as a bonding experience for mothers and children together.
In this workshop, you will experience:
Live performances by Odissi musicians (vocal, pakhawaj, sitar and flute) and an opportunity for participants to play the instruments themselves.
- Live performances by professional Odissi dancers.
- Wearing the Odissi sari costume and understanding the aesthetics of the costume.
- Understanding how Orissa’s beautiful art forms reflect in Odissi, through slide presentations in a state-of-the-art studio space.
- Experiencing our beloved gods in dance, through dance poses.
- Art and craft activities to connect the children to the aesthetics of Odissi.
- Printed material as a guide to the basics of Odissi.
- Participation certificates for all the budding dancers!
The workshop is conducted by Jaya Mehta and Swaati Vivek
, professional Odissi dancers based in New Delhi, trained in the Guru Surendra Nath Jena Odissi style by Guru Pratibha Jena Singh.
The ‘Children's Workshops’ workshop is open to individuals aged five years and above. The workshop is held over five sessions or in a more compact three session module. The program can also be customized for adults eager for an introduction to the beauty of Indian classical dance.